Thursday, March 26, 2009

Paxil Addiction

17 comments:

  1. This is just one example of many drugs that have been approved and sold without all aspects of the drug being properly communicated. Not only does the general public not know and have way of knowing all of the information about these drugs, but physicians are also being mislead. This scares me because,in most cases, how are we supposed to know any better to say no; its what the doctor prescribed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Chris Cuomo did a good job reporting on this problem. I am also an advocate of patient awareness. People need to stop and think. They don't just blindly by the newest clothes, shoes, television, or even food that comes out on the market; so why should it be any different for medications. It is noone else's responsibility to ensure that you and your loved ones get the care they need except you. Why are people so afraid to question the authority of doctors and pharmaceutical companies in a country founded by men and women whose only objective in founding this country was their questioning of authority and the views it tried to force upon them. Yes these people are better trained than you, but stop following the pied piper and stand up for yourself and the people you care about. Oh, and stop blaming them for the fact that they are dishonest; they are only dishonest because we as a society allow them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that no matter what drug a patient takes they need to be aware of withdrawal symptoms as well as side effects. Yes, it is important for paxil and other drugs to accurately list the withdrawal symptoms. However, each patient is going to have a different reaction when taking the medicine and going off it. Isn't it also possible for these patients to receieve treatment from a facility in order to get off the drug? I think it is amazing that an antidepressant, such as paxil, could cause these extreme effects such as electric shocks going through their head. I am surprised that I had not heard about this sooner. I think it would be important to make sure that this information was told to the public in order to prevent it from happening to more people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised we have not herd more about this. Being that Paxil is such a well known and widely used drug. It is amazing that doctors are prescribing this without knowing all the side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After seeing this, I feel very lucky that I stopped taking medication for anxiety. At my previous college, I was given a benzodiazepine, which depresses the CNS, to help in some anxiety I was going through (which I might add was the result of environmental causes). Of course, the doctor did not mention that patients with depression (which I also had) should not take it because it could induce thoughts of suicide. Furthermore, the stuff is highly addictive (you can't take it for more than a month straight), and I had to go in for mandatory pill checks. After doing some research on my own, I found out that they used the drug to control epileptic seizures and that you can't just go off the stuff "cold turkey". So I basically said screw this, and weaned myself off gradually with the pills I had left. I think the only withdrawal symptom I had was severe insomnia that lasted a few months, thankfully nothing as extreme as "electric shocks" going through my head. But, I can completely empathize with people who resort to medication out of desperation, because that is what I did; however, I think that there should be more emphasis placed on alternative treatments (i.e. counseling or yoga, etc) to treat anxiety and depression. It's much better in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is extremely scary to think about the effects of such drugs on our body. I know numerous people who take anxiety medications, most of which have been on them for a long period of time. After learning the real effects on being on medications like Paxil, I find myself worrying about the individuals who take the anxiety medication. I also worry about other medications out there which may have the same effects, but they haven't gone public yet. This is why I am such a huge fan of holistic medicine and a focus away from biomedicine. No one should have to walk around with electric shocks running through their head, or have extreme headaches and sweating from a prescribed pill. Documentary's such as this are real eye openers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This video was shocking and really made me wonder what other side affects are being kept a secret. Also it makes you wonder what other medications are potentially as addictive or harmful to your body.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think this video is really interesting because it shows how quick many people are to jump into using a drug regimen. i mean that second woman even said 'i thought this was something people used to get through a hard time in their life and could be stopped when i didn't need it anymore.' i do believe that there are many people who benefit from the use of narcotics but all to often people are using them because they think they need them and in which case they work more like a placebo than an actual treatment. i believe that doctors should use medications as a last alternative, after their patient has tried other modes of therapy like mediation or another type of psychotherapy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What has society come to?? People are not honest with one another and do not look out for the best interest of all people. Not accurately disclosing the information about Paxil, specifically about the withdrawl symptoms, is like lying to the people and yet again, letting greed be the deciding factor in the actions we take. Drug companies need to become responsible for their drugs and fully educate and disclose information concerning the side effects, both positive and negative, of administering these drugs to people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Courtney- this clip was a huge eye-opener. It shows how eager the pharmaceutical companies are to make a profit- even if it is not in the best interest of the consumer. I feel that the doctors who perscribe these medications have a responsibility to have knowledge about these drugs and inform their patients on the benefits and negative side effects. I'm amazed how Paxil was even put on the market with a rate of nearly 25 percent of people who would have withdrawal symptoms and negative side effects. This shows that people (myself included) need to be more apprehensive about what they are putting into their bodies and if the benefits outweigh the costs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This video shows that the main concern of pharmaceutical companies is profit. It is terrible that they hide negative findings about their drugs because exposing those findings would decrease their profits. They are not concerned with the well being of the people taking the drug and the serious side effects that they are experiencing, they just want to make money off of them. Patients and doctors need to be informed about the drugs they are being prescribed. They need to know the benefits and the risks of the drugs because then they can decide if that is the best decision for them. If the women in the video had known what the drug would do to them when they tried to get off it they may not have taken it in the first place. They were not aware of what could happen to them, which I find frightening. You want to be able to trust that doctors know about the medicine they prescribe to you and that they have your best interests at heart and wouldn't give it to you if it could have such seriously negative side effects without warning you about them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This video is shocking, because it just makes me start wondering what the scary side effects of many other drugs are doing to people--especially some of the long term effects. And if not even the doctors know all of the side effects, where does that leave us? It seems more important than ever research on our own and decide what is best for us. Commercials, especially are just so convincing and not okay. The only important thing to the millions of people in the pharmaceutical industry is making money, and by withholding information and making everything seem wonderful, they are doing a great job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its scary to think that there are addictive side affects in some prescription drugs given to patients by thier doctor who probably don't know as well. Pharmacutical drug companies are covering up the negative effects, just to make billions off of their product, and are doing so really well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find it shocking that the doctors would hold such important information from their patients. Aren't doctors here to help us and make us feel better? It's hard to believe that people who are here to take away the pain can cause so much by withholding important information. There are millions of people who are on Paxil and now they are going to experience these horrible symptoms. It makes me wonder what other medication is out there that will cause such pain by going off it. This really does show that some doctors are in it for the money.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel that this story would make any patient feel uneasy about any medication that they have been on for any extended amount of time. It makes me wonder what other side-effects or other problems can arise from medication being given from a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Many patients taking Paxil dont know about the adverse side-effects. Alot of medications today have side-effects that are never brought up by doctors. Doctors today are being taken over by phar. companies and given money to give their drugs to patients. Its not about the doctor caring for the patient anymore, its about the doctor making more money.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The media is one of the worst forms of social control. It is the whip that drives society. Pharmaceutical companies, insurances companies, and the government use the media for their twisted purposes. The influence society to become addicts (anorexia, alcoholism, drugs) and create a disillusionment at the expense of the masses. This Paxil addiction is just one of the many addictions that Americans are presented with. The media drives this addiction; its presentation make increases the desire to be prescribed medications like Paxil. And when the side effects get ugly, the media is there to tell you to take another medication... and another...

    ReplyDelete